Vouk 2.2.0 REALLY Slow, 1.1.3 Still Quick (NVENC/HEVC h.265)

  • Hey gang -


    I have both 2.2.0 and 1.1.3 installed with Premiere, and I'm attempting to export a 25Mbit/sec 4K/59.94 video that's about 8 or 9 minutes long. I'm doing so with the HEVC hardware encoder on my 2080Ti card. When I use the older 1.1.3 plugin, it takes about the amount of time I'd expect; if the video is time t, the encoding/exporting is about time t. But with 2.2.0, when I hit the export button, it takes upwards of 2t if not longer.


    17:31:22] ---------------------------------------------

    [17:31:22] Export started

    [17:31:22] ---------------------------------------------

    [17:31:22] Frame size: 3840x2160

    [17:31:22] Pixel aspect: 1:1

    [17:31:22] Frame rate: 59.94

    [17:31:22] Interlaced: No

    [17:31:22] Color range: pc

    [17:31:22] Color space: bt709

    [17:31:22] Color primaries: bt709

    [17:31:22] Color TRC: bt709

    [17:31:22] Sample rate: 48000

    [17:31:22] Audio channels: 2

    [17:31:22] ---------------------------------------------

    [17:31:22] Opening codec: hevc_nvenc with options: b=25000000|bufsize=0|gpu=0|rc=cbr

    [17:31:22] Opening codec: aac with options: b=512000|profile=aac_main

    [17:31:22] Requesting pixel format: yuv420p

    [17:31:22] Applying video filters: colorspace=range=jpeg:space=bt709:trc=bt709:primaries=bt709

    [17:31:22] Frame #0: vRender: 97463 us, vProcess: 5 us, vEncoding: 22738 us, Latency: 120240 us

    [17:31:22] Frame #1: vRender: 187 us, vProcess: 4 us, vEncoding: 8948 us, aRender: 1415 us, aEncoding: 6 us, Latency: 10583 us

    [17:31:22] Frame #2: vRender: 34220 us, vProcess: 4 us, vEncoding: 8214 us, aRender: 70 us, aEncoding: 142 us, Latency: 42676 us

    [17:31:22] Frame #3: vRender: 16161 us, vProcess: 4 us, vEncoding: 8218 us, aRender: 85 us, aEncoding: 132 us, Latency: 24623 us

    [17:31:22] Frame #4: vRender: 32195 us, vProcess: 5 us, vEncoding: 8067 us, aRender: 70 us, aEncoding: 123 us, Latency: 40496 us

    [17:31:22] Frame #5: vRender: 16429 us, vProcess: 4 us, vEncoding: 8353 us, Latency: 24799 us

    [17:31:22] Frame #6: vRender: 33156 us, vProcess: 4 us, vEncoding: 8286 us, aRender: 73 us, aEncoding: 122 us, Latency: 41667 us

    [17:31:22] Frame #7: vRender: 16899 us, vProcess: 4 us, vEncoding: 8364 us, aRender: 74 us, aEncoding: 125 us, Latency: 25491 us

    [17:31:22] Frame #8: vRender: 33480 us, vProcess: 4 us, vEncoding: 8382 us, aRender: 73 us, aEncoding: 126 us, Latency: 42101 us

    [17:31:22] Frame #9: vRender: 14932 us, vProcess: 5 us, vEncoding: 8301 us, aRender: 74 us, aEncoding: 125 us, Latency: 23462 us

    [17:31:22] Frame #10: vRender: 34720 us, vProcess: 5 us, vEncoding: 8372 us, Latency: 43109 us

    [lots of stuff clipped]

    [17:32:10] Exported 1350 frames in 47 seconds. (avg. 28 fps)

    [17:32:10] Flushing encoders and finalizing ...

    [17:32:10] Video and audio buffers flushed.

    [17:32:10] Trailer has been written.

    [17:32:10] Closing encoders ...

    [17:32:10] ---------------------------------------------

    [17:32:10] Export finished

    [17:32:10] ---------------------------------------


    I usually cancel it out, which is why it doesn't run that long. It feels like it's trying to do a 2-pass for some reason, but I don't see that option anywhere in the plugin menus.


    I'm sure I'm doing something stupid here; any guess as to what it is?


    Thanks!

  • There are many users reporting this. But I never found out why it is like that.


    When i use my test project (2048x1152 / h264_nvenc / default) version 2.3b2 is even faster than 1.1.3.


    All I know it has to do with the time premiere needs to render the raw frame (vRender). Did you try the VRPT tool on the project? Does that finish faster or slower than 1.1.3?

    Stay up-to-date and follow me on Twitter. Tell me your feedback.


    Help to improve this plugin and support me on patreon. Thank you.

  • Did you try the VRPT tool on the project? Does that finish faster or slower than 1.1.3?


    I'll try that once I get home from work later today and report back. What confuses me a bit is why running it through 1.1.3 is so much quicker if it's a vRender issue? Wouldn't that affect both versions of the plugin?

  • I compared the project files and made them almost identical. But that did not fix it.


    In theory we do not need to think about v2 here. The first goal is to make VRPT as fast as v1.1.3 (or find out was has changed).

    Stay up-to-date and follow me on Twitter. Tell me your feedback.


    Help to improve this plugin and support me on patreon. Thank you.

  • I didn't manage to run the test all the way through. I started it up, saw that the estimated time went up to somewhere around 1.5t and let it go for a minute or two, then killed it. In other words: it's slower than 1.1.3, but a little faster than 2.2.0.

  • I can confirm what jasonvp wrote.

    I did tests with a 1-minute sequence (3840x2160 60p, cineform codec source; no fx or anything).

    With 2.2.0 (and 2.2.3) it exported in around 2:30 (basically 2.5:1 time ratio)

    Then I ran VRPT , and it completed with about 1.6:1 ratio:

    Adobe_Premiere_Pro_2019-10-30_17-10-46.png


    Finally, I've tried 1.1.3 and it finished in 51 seconds (0.85:1).

    I re-ran this several times, and even with different compression/profile settings, these numbers remained pretty much the same.

    My specs are i7-7700k@stock, 32gb ram, 1080Ti, win10. Source/export on fast disk (no bottlenecks).


    Thanks for your work and it's great projects like these exist; the speed of 1.1.3 export is a real incentive to use it over CPU encoding when time is a priority.

  • Vouk

    Added the Label In Progress
  • Vouk

    Set the Label from Adobe Premiere / MediaEncoder to Independent