Posts by urik

Just stumbled upon these forum threads

DISCUSS : NVIDIA GPU decode for H264 & HEVC

DISCUSS : AMD GPU decode for H264 & HEVC

Basically, in latest beta they've added AMD/Nvidia GPU hardware decoding for h264/HEVC.

Haven't tried it yet, might wait until official release. But this is very exciting, I was actually actively searching the web (not the first time) for this and now it's finally happening. I guess it's especially rejoice for AMD and non-gpu Intel CPU users since they were missing out on QuickSync playback.

To be fair, there was already an existing third party plugin for that called Turbocut , which also had Nvidia decode/encode and even their own editing codec. I've tried it once and the playback was definitely better than QuickSync (HD Graphics 630) but there were some weird audio pops so I uninstalled it after trying out.

But having this added officially to Premiere is a big deal, along with earlier hardware encoding update, and it's great they're finally doing it this year.

That might explain why the Adobe NVENC Exporter is faster than Voukoder.

It's not for me, it's been pretty much the same speed wise.

I actually had some irregularities with Premiere's native nvenc export when it first came out in 14.2 where it would sometime pick QuickSync over Nvidia, but it seems to have been resolved with later updates.

Did you run your tests before you released the 1.4.0 Premiere connector that resolved the speed issue? I've been using vouk 1.1.3 prior to that and then the new one since connector fix came out, for me they're both take same time as Premiere's export. I still use both, v5 normally and v1.1.3 if I need to quickly tweak parameters without digging into ui.

So for me Premiere nvenc export doesn't in any way make voukoder nvenc irrelevant, with all the additional encoder options it has, CQP, + mkv/mov format for non-mp4 spec audio, to name a few.

What about the NVENC hardware encoders in Voukoder?

Yes, as I've mentioned, Voukoder does add scene cut I frames and B frames (as these settings are on by default in voukoder, along with lookahead).

I was just ranting about Adobe exporter. Perhaps they use a faster preset or don't pass any parameters to nvenc other than target bitrate and GOP interval.

So yesterday for the first time I had a look at a h264 file exported natively with Hardware Encoding (GTX1080Ti).

I think it was the first time I actually examined it, I had it opened in Avidemux to tweak something.

I was surprised to see there's only P-frames (no B-frames), which in itself isn't a big deal, but even worse, there's no additional I-frames insertion on scene changes. With enough bitrate it probably wouldn't matter that much, but still, it's just not effective quality wise to me.

Adobe's software encoder and Voukoder (by default) do add those I-frames.

So essentially Premiere hardware encoding reminds me of Nvidia's Shadowplay screen capture, just with probably higher preset, adjustable bitrate and GOP interval.

The native encoder renders both video and audio streams separately and then muxes it at the end to an mp4 file.

Voukoder directly writes a muxed file.

Oh right, indeed I noticed it write streams like that, one then another. Makes sense. Voukoder also spends time moving the faststart atom, but I guess it was faster on my short test export, I dunno. I know it pretty much depends on disk read/write performance at that point.

Wonderful! Thanks Vouk for fixing the Premiere connector. It is indeed as fast as v1 now. Also it's grown leaps and bounds since then, with match setting checkmarks, separate configuration window, etc. Looking forward to using publish tab, since with v1.1.3 I had to resort to timers & macros to make chrome upload file when it's done exporting. I'm glad you've added the default good quality preset, since I always forget which encoder preset/profile to use for that.

Yep. I confirm it is as fast as Version 1, but the new H.264 native support is faster than Voukoder now.

I can't quite get behind that, since for me they work at pretty much the same speed. The first thing when PP 14.2 came out I did was tested hardware encoding against vouk 1.1.3 , and now I've re-tested with vouk 5 with 1.4.0 connector. I only tested 1 minute as usual, both in media encoder and premiere, the encoding task finishes at roughly the same time.

Interestingly, for me, Premiere native export takes longer time to assemble (finalize) the mp4 file, even though both PP and my vouk settings use faststart.

At first I thought it can be due to bitrate difference that occurs due to the fact that I'm using CQP mode with vouk, but even with twice the bitrate, vouk finalizes test file faster. Maybe there's some extra time PP takes writing some metadata or processing something.

This may be isolated to my test export, I can't statistically confirm it yet.

I just learned about it from Epos Vox's video . Puget systems also published an article a few days before (they seem to have only tested with nvidia so far).

Here's a quote from the article:

since in the current beta, it defaults to using the NVIDIA/AMD GPU over Quicksync if it is available.

So, according to that, in latest beta, with hardware encoding selected, even if Intel's iGPU is enabled, it should use graphics card's encoder by default.

I haven't tried it yet (don't want to mess with current project), but I'm very excited about this.

I've been using Voukoder 1.1.3 for several months now and it made export so much more effortless.

I still see many benefits to use voukoder because of FFMPEG and ability to use QCP instead of set bitrate.

I wish Adobe would add quality-based setting, but I guess it's just against how AME works.

May I ask, what's the logics behind choosing RC lookahead of 16?

Is it related to max GOP distance or framerate?

I'm using the same value that max GOP just because I've read somewhere that going higher than GOP distance is pointless. But I'm always forcing max GOP of 1/2 framerate, e.g 30 for 60p or 25 for 50p, as per Youtube guidelines (I am keeping the auto-keyframe on scene change on though).

Vouk's right about height divisible by 8 requirement (and width divisible by 16). It has to do with macroblocks & compression.

You might get away with resolution that doesn't adhere to these requirements, but it's a bit of a lottery.

Depending on the codec, format and how Youtube's ffmpeg-based encoder processes it, it might end up with a green line too.

I've bumped into this issue myself a couple years back with Cineform codec, which requires width/16 & height/8 rule otherwise it gets that bottom line when played back in anything but Adobe.

3840x1600 is a good choice, it's 2.40:1 which is pretty much the same as 2.39:1 cinemascope (which is just a legacy of analog film/projection era)

21:9 is just a marketing number used for monitors and phones. The existing ultra wide resolutions in things like consumer monitors aren't exactly 21:9 and they still adhere to the rule, like 2560x1080 (2.37:1), 3440x1440 (~2.39:1) and 3840x1600 (2.40:1)

In cinema mastering / intermediate , they don't have to care about conforming to standard resolutions because it's exported as separate frames.

But when delivering, they adjust it to meet requirements.

Which file did you copy?

The Voukoder.dll?

VoukoderR2.prm is the export plugin (connector). It goes into C:\Program Files\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\7.0\MediaCore

(I'm not sure about pre-CC versions though).

If your connector installation ran correctly, it should've installed the .prm in the correct folder.

I think you'd have to specify "how" exactly it doesn't look good, and what is your criteria. Also it depends on the quality method - CQP (constant quality), CBR (constant bitrate) VBR (variable bitrate).

The default setting is CQP with value of something like (23?). You could try lowering it to like 16 (lower=better), see if that makes it better. I use variable bitrate with 100mbps target / 130mbps max and keyframe interval of 30 frames (fixed GOP / no scene change detection ); but my footage is gameplay at 60fps so it's different from your scenario. For camera footage at 24fps, even 60-80mbps for 4K is plenty (Youtube's own recommendation for 4K uploads is something like 50 or 60, if I remember correct).

I can confirm what jasonvp wrote.

I did tests with a 1-minute sequence (3840x2160 60p, cineform codec source; no fx or anything).

With 2.2.0 (and 2.2.3) it exported in around 2:30 (basically 2.5:1 time ratio)

Then I ran VRPT , and it completed with about 1.6:1 ratio:

Adobe_Premiere_Pro_2019-10-30_17-10-46.png

Finally, I've tried 1.1.3 and it finished in 51 seconds (0.85:1).

I re-ran this several times, and even with different compression/profile settings, these numbers remained pretty much the same.

My specs are i7-7700k@stock, 32gb ram, 1080Ti, win10. Source/export on fast disk (no bottlenecks).

Thanks for your work and it's great projects like these exist; the speed of 1.1.3 export is a real incentive to use it over CPU encoding when time is a priority.