Digeridoo Great. Thanks for the sketches. Basically this is what I had in my mind already, yes.
1. The selection of the "Format" depends on the selection done in "Video" and "Audio". I am still trying to find out if there is a more clever way of displaying this workflow / dependency.
2. I like your idea of separating the encoding option groups in tabs. This is what I meant with "2nd level navigation". But there would still be some scrolling. Although - It would be less scrolling than it currently is. But i guess we can't get araound it with like 200 options for i.e x265.
3. Advanced - Yes, maybe not at this position but I want to have it in this view somewhere. Maybe below the options preview? I also think about not only to remove the advanced tabs in simple mode, but showing a custom simple tab instead. i.e. just showing a "Quality" slider for x264 that matches to the crf param. But thats just a detail.
4. 3D & Filters - It would be possible to put these tabs here. BUT - It could be confusing as these are not encoder options, plus they are encoder independend. They will not be affected when the encoder gets changed and they won't get cleared or resetted when the encoder options does.
Both "3D/Spherical" and "Filters" will be not used by the majority of the users. So I still think it could be reasonable to add buttons that open a new dialog. Not sure about it though.
5. Presets - We need to put a list / dropdown of encoder presets somewhere (i.e. "YouTube", "Archive", "Lossless", "Draft" or something). But this can be thought through later.