New Nvidia HDR recordings incompatible with Voukoder

• Title says it all.

Voukoder refuses to encode recordings that come from Nvidia's latest driver (09/17/2020) which features HDR encoding on Nvenc. Tested the Voukoder on SDR recordings from the same GPU, both x265 and Nvenc HEVC work with the SDR recording, but neither work with the HDR recording.

• Vouk

Added the Label In Progress
  • Vouk

Removed the Label Adobe Premiere / MediaEncoder
  • Here you go.

Unable to initiate the encoder.

This most likely has to do with an invalid combination of options.

Make sure there is at least one free NVENC session and close all other programs that make use of NVENC.

^ This is the error when attempting to render with NVENC HEVC with the same settings I've been using to render HDR videos with NVENC HEVC in the past. And I have no active NVENC sessions active.

Unable to initialize the encoder.

This most likely has to do with an invalid combination of options.

^ This is the error I receive when attempting to render in x265 with the "Good Quality" preset that has worked fine for me in the past.

Oh and steps to reproduce.

1. Enable HDR in game and in Windows.

2. Ensure latest RTX 2000-3000 driver is installed.

3. Ensure latest version of GF Experience is installed.

4. Record HDR gameplay.

5. Run through Premiere.

Oh and here is a link to a Youtube upload of the raw video recorded at 4k60 50Mbps in HDR with Shadowplay HEVC NVENC:

• Code
    [10:49:28] Timebase: 423365927/-368203776 (-0.87 fps)

Check the framerate in premieres video tab before starting to encode. Seems it was not able to auto detect it. Please set a correct value and try again.

• Happens sometimes. Esp. if source clips are recorded with variable frame rate (like shadowplay).

Good to know. I haven't recorded much with Shadowplay because it didn't allow me to record with HDR enabled, so I mainly used Game Bar which was significantly worse than the Xbox One X HDR clips I was working with 9 months ago.

• Vouk

Set the Label from In Progress to Not a bug
  • Make sure you are using the correct video levels (limited/full) and bt709 for hd video or bt601 for sd.

That wasn't the issue. Had to do with the way Premiere ingests content it recognizes as HDR. Premiere converts it, then I have to convert it with a preset, then export to Voukoder where it gets converted again. At some point the colors shift.

Solutions are use FFmpeg to make a new video that Premiere reads as SDR, or use the built in HEVC encoder.

Alternatively, it may be possible to bypass this issue if you can add Bt2020 to the video tab in the Export menu of Premiere. I have no clue if it would work, or if it's even possible to implement that.

• I solved my previous issue, but the render is slightly more saturated than the source, despite not making any adjustments.

check you media player, it might have poorly designed decoder, or added filters

You can try use a different media player like mpv which is now the best option unlike potplayer's broken color schemes

• check you media player, it might have poorly designed decoder, or added filters

You can try use a different media player like mpv which is now the best option unlike potplayer's broken color schemes

Not the issue, I've already completely solved my problems. This issue is on Adobe, but may be solvable by Vouk.