x264 AMD-AMF CRF -- resulting bitrate is too high

• Did simple comparison x264 CPU vs x264 AMD-AMF with similar options.

From defaults I only changed to CRF=21

Voukoder x264 CPU rendered test project with bitrate about 20 Mbps. I rendered the project with x264 encoder (through MeGUI) many times and bitrate was about the same.

However, when I rendered the project using Voukoder x264 AMD-AMF encoder with the same options, the resulting bitrate was about 50+ Mbps that looks a bit too high.

So I think it might be a few things:

1. x264 AMF is really produces much worse quality and so for the same CRF encoder uses higher bitrate to meet quality requirements;

2. Voukoder does not pass or incorrectly pass some settings to x264 AMF and so the high bitrate is used.

Could you advice, how can I check what is causing the "issue"?

Thanks.

• fifonik

Changed the title of the thread from “AMD-AMF CRF -- resulting bitrate is too high” to “x264 AMD-AMF CRF -- resulting bitrate is too high”.
  • First, x264 is an encoder for the h264 codec. Just like there is an AMD h264 encoder, but not an AMD x264 encoder.

I would suggest you to test this with FFmpeg. Voukoder is always using the latest versions of all components from GIT master.

Stay up-to-date and follow me on Twitter. Tell me your feedback.

Help to improve this plugin and support me on patreon. Thank you.

• I tried to render the same file in Handbrake with x264 CRF23 vs H264 AMD VCE (Quality) CRF23.

The second file is 4+ times bigger and there are no B-frames in it at all (I was just told that VCE does not make the B-frames while encoding. Did not know that).

So this is not the Voukoder issue, just ignore the "bug report"

Thanks.

• Vouk

Added the Label Not a bug
  • Vouk

Added the Label 2.3
  • Vouk

Set the Label from Magix Vegas to Independent