Best settings

• HI all,

I am new to voukoder and am all a bit confused by the settings. Anything i try doesn't seem to look good. Anyone guide me in the right direction for 1080p and also 4k 23.976fps?

• I think you'd have to specify "how" exactly it doesn't look good, and what is your criteria. Also it depends on the quality method - CQP (constant quality), CBR (constant bitrate) VBR (variable bitrate).

The default setting is CQP with value of something like (23?). You could try lowering it to like 16 (lower=better), see if that makes it better. I use variable bitrate with 100mbps target / 130mbps max and keyframe interval of 30 frames (fixed GOP / no scene change detection ); but my footage is gameplay at 60fps so it's different from your scenario. For camera footage at 24fps, even 60-80mbps for 4K is plenty (Youtube's own recommendation for 4K uploads is something like 50 or 60, if I remember correct).

• Whats the most important criteria for you? (I assume you want an h264 encode)

• Small file size? => Encoder "x264"
    • Best quality? => Encoder "x264"
    • Fast encoding speed? => GPU Encoder "NVENC h264" / "AMD h264"

I always recommend quantizer based encoding strategy. For the "x264" I recommend a CRF value of 19. For GPU based encoders I recommand a CQP value of 15. Leave all other settings as they are. They can be changed afterwards. Smaller values will get you a better quality (up to lossless), larger values will produce smaller file sizes.

That are basics (and as simple as possible).

Help to improve this plugin and support me on patreon or paypal. Thank you.