Voukoder Pro 3.2.2 – Missing BT.709 Color Primaries and Transfer Characteristics

  • Hello,

    I am using Voukoder Pro 3.2.2 with VEGAS Pro 22 to create H.264 MP4 files for cable TV broadcast.

    I have a question about how BT.709 color metadata is written into the H.264 output.

    With the old free version of Voukoder, my H.264 output contained all three BT.709 color parameters:

    Color range: Limited
    Color primaries: BT.709
    Transfer characteristics: BT.709
    Matrix coefficients: BT.709

    With Voukoder Pro 3.2.2, I can now successfully create the H.264 file, but only the following color information is present:

    Color range: Limited
    Matrix coefficients: BT.709

    The following two parameters are missing:

    Color primaries: BT.709
    Transfer characteristics: BT.709

    This is not only a MediaInfo display issue. I have checked the same output using:

    MediaInfo
    MediaInfo XML
    ffprobe
    MediaTrace

    and all of them show the same result: BT.709 matrix coefficients are present, but BT.709 color primaries and transfer characteristics are not present.

    The resulting video is:

    1920 × 1080
    59.940 fps
    Progressive
    YUV 4:2:0 8-bit
    H.264 High@L4.2
    Limited range
    Matrix coefficients: BT.709

    My goal is to produce a standard H.264/AVC BT.709 file for cable TV delivery with the following color metadata explicitly present:

    color_range = TV/Limited
    color_primaries = BT.709
    transfer_characteristics = BT.709
    matrix_coefficients = BT.709

    I have tried using Voukoder's video input color settings and also tested setparams and other filter configurations. However, I would prefer to set the correct metadata directly through the encoder/settings rather than use a filter that unnecessarily modifies the video.

    My questions are:

    Does Voukoder Pro 3.2.2 write color_primaries, transfer_characteristics, and matrix_coefficients to the H.264 VUI in the same way as the old free Voukoder?
    What is the correct Voukoder Pro 3.2.2 configuration for libx264 to explicitly write all three BT.709 parameters?
    If this is controlled by x264 parameters, should the equivalent settings be something like:
    colorprim=bt709
    transfer=bt709
    colormatrix=bt709

    or does Voukoder Pro handle these parameters differently?

    Is the absence of color_primaries and transfer_characteristics in the output expected behavior in Voukoder Pro 3.2.2, or could this be a bug/regression compared with the old free Voukoder?

    I am mainly trying to understand how Voukoder Pro 3.2.2 handles H.264 BT.709 VUI metadata, because the actual video encoding is working correctly.


    I previously used the old free Voukoder with VEGAS Pro 20, where my H.264 files contained all three BT.709 parameters. I am now using Voukoder Pro 3.2.2 with VEGAS Pro 22, and the same type of H.264 output contains only the BT.709 matrix coefficients.

    Could the difference be related to how VEGAS Pro 22 passes color metadata to Voukoder Pro 3.2.2, or should Voukoder Pro explicitly set all three H.264 VUI parameters independently of the metadata received from VEGAS?

    Best regards,
    John

    Einmal editiert, zuletzt von JohnH (8. Oktober 2026 um 16:37)

  • Vouk 8. Oktober 2026 um 20:03

    Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.