I just bought the 2026 version of Voukoder. It works well with my Intel 14900K integrated graphics and the LIBX265 encoder; however, I have a Nvidia RTX 4000 Blackwell card so I of course want to use that. The internet (and AI) say look for "hevc_nvenc" or something similar but I can 't find it anywhere. The Voudoker forum makes reference to hevc_nvenc so I assume it's real? When I open the Voukoder Pro Designer and select the video encoder node I scroll down and down to finally get to "Nvidia (GPU)" with subheadings for AV1, H264, and HEVC. I select the latter but under Format there is no yuv422 10 bit option. Where is the hevc_nvenc encoder, and more specifically, how can I get my gpu to render HEVC 10 bit 422 color? Any guidance is appreciated.
Where is hevc_nvenc (Nvidia NVENC HEVC)?
-
-
Vouk
25. September 2026 um 07:07 Hat das Thema freigeschaltet. -
- Offizieller Beitrag
The hevc_nvenc encoder is exactly the NVIDIA (GPU) HEVC encoder.
But my info reports that yuv422 10 bit got introduced with the rtx 50 series, not with the rtx 40 series.
ZitatPrior to this architecture, NVIDIA GPUs strictly did not support YUV 4:2:2 in hardware:
- RTX 40 Series (Ada Lovelace) and older: The hardware blocks were physically restricted to 4:2:0 and 4:4:4 chroma subsampling.
- The Issue: If you imported 10-bit 4:2:2 footage (a standard format for cameras like the Sony α7 IV, Canon R5, or Panasonic GH6) on an older RTX card, your system had to hand the workload entirely over to the CPU for software decoding and encoding. This frequently resulted in laggy editing timelines and slow export times.
By adding native 4:2:2 pipelines directly into the silicon of the RTX 50 series, NVIDIA finally closed a long-standing gap that had previously given Intel's Quick Sync and Apple's Silicon Media Engines a distinct advantage for video editors.
-
Thanks for the response and I suspected that was the case, i.e., hevc_nvenc is the same as Nvidia (GPU) HEVC encoder. However, I think your info about 4:2:2 only being in the rtx 50 series, and not the rtx 40 series might be incorrect. See the text below from Google Gemini. If you could activate 4:2:2 10 bit for rtx 40 series I would greatly, greatly appreciate it (frankly, that's the reason I bought Voukoder; it wasn't until I tried to render some 8k footage that I realize it was only using the Intel cpu). See below:
Yes, the NVIDIA RTX PRO 4000 Blackwell (as well as the rest of the Blackwell architecture, including the GeForce RTX 50-series) features native, hardware-accelerated 4:2:2 pipeline support. [1, 2]
This marks a significant generational milestone, as previous NVIDIA architectures (like Ada Lovelace and Ampere) lacked hardware-level 4:2:2 processing, forcing video editors to rely on CPU decoding or convert footage into proxy files. [1, 2, 3, 4]
Key Specifications & Pipeline Features
- 9th-Gen NVENC & 6th-Gen NVDEC: The updated media engines natively handle YUV 4:2:2 chroma subsampling for both encoding and decoding tasks. [1, 2]
- Codec Coverage: Native 4:2:2 hardware acceleration is fully integrated for H.264 (AVC) and H.265 (HEVC) formats, including progressive and interlaced options. It also introduces new NV_ENC_BUFFER_FORMAT_NV16 and P210 formats to support 8-bit and 10-bit YUV 4:2:2 pipelines natively within the memory buffer. [1, 2, 3]
- Creative App Support: Major video editing suites like Adobe Premiere Pro and DaVinci Resolve utilize this pipeline to playback and render professional mirrorless/broadcast camera formats (which heavily favor 10-bit 4:2:2) seamlessly on the GPU. [1, 2, 3]
-
A quick follow up. To further confirm that my Nvidia RTX 4000 Blackwell could natively handle HEVC 422 10-bit video I tested the card via FFmpeg using hevc_nvenc and -pix_fmt p210le. As you can see in the attached it natively processed the 10-bit 4:2:2 stream perfectly via hardware. The architecture supports it. Again, if you could update Voukoder for the rtx 40 series I would greatly appreciate it.
-
- Offizieller Beitrag
Yes, sorry, you are right. I was confused with NVidia's naming strategy and mixed up the Quadro RTX 4000 series with the usual gaming series (like RTX 4090, 4080, and so on).
To be completely open, this depends entirly on the FFmpeg you are using. The listed formats in the designer are auto detected and read from FFmpeg. So you can either build your own FFmpeg (in version 8, dynamic libs, NVidia headers in at least version 13.0) or you have to wait for an update from me (if you prefer to use my installer).When will i do the update? I can't tell exactly, but I'm building it right now. But i need check if everything is in there.Edit: The correct pixel formats are already there, they are just wrongly labelled:
- nv16: An 8-bit YUV 4:2:2 semi-planar format (one chroma plane with interleaved U/V samples, sampled at 4:2:2).
- p210le: A 10-bit YUV 4:2:2 semi-planar format (little-endian).
- p216le: A 16-bit YUV 4:2:2 semi-planar format (little-endian).
I'll fix that! But you are anyway good to go now.

-
Perfect! Yes, that worked. (Now I can render HEVC 4:2:2 10-bit 8K without melting my Intel cpu.) Thanks for the quick response.