best setting for export " HEVC nvidia NVENC " h264 mp4 format for good Quality / Medium video size?

• anyone Suggestion for best setting for export " HEVC nvidia NVENC " format for good Quality?

i render most video via premiere12(2018) FullHD 29.97 Frame 12 mb CBR bitrate MP4 Foramt

i use this setting(Attached picture) on voukoder 7.1 and exoprt mp4 but when play movi after forward or backward video, video play some delay !

also when camera some fast move on recording, after render by voukoder, object and person view&seen by some Shake and Halation/Nimbus for aboute 1/4 second !

also premiere export codec id use MP42 but voukoder export use MP41 codec id

thanks for help and Suggest best setting:thumbup:sorry for my poor english:saint:

video export info via premiere h264 mp4 format that use MP42 codec id

• For best quality with NVENC don't use CBR. You can also read this in the Nvidia SDK developer doc.

Nvidia itselft do strongly recommend to use VBR for high quality.

But i'm wondering why often all settings are tuned but one of the most important recommendation from NVIDIA is not used.

Also NVIDIA NVENC do maximum support 32 Lookahead frames ! Higher number doesn't affect.

In further docs NVidia also recommend to reduce the GOP size to ~80 for high quality.

At least if you do not stream online the VBR mode is best compromise.

With these settings you can really reach the same or better quality as the software encoder at high kBit/sec (8000kBit/sec or higher), (i know many people can't belive this) but this is also described by Nvidia that only at high bitrates they can keep there promise! At low kBit/sec the software encoder is definitly the better solution. But also Nvidia said that they are only can perform or better as software encoder only at high bitrates (i can absolutely confirm that). But all comparisons in the internet are at low bitrates.

Hint: NVIDIA NVENC only support CBR, VBR and CQP encoding!

These are the NVENC recommended settings from last NVIDIA SDK doc. (valid for h264 & h265)

• High quality Tuning Info (PRESET = HQ)
    • Rate control mode = VBR
    • Very large VBV buffer size (4 seconds)
    • B Frames*
    • Look-ahead (max. 32 !!)
    • B frame as reference
    • Finite GOP length (2 seconds)
    • Adaptive quantization (AQ) enabled**

More details can be found here:

https://docs.nvidia.com/video-…ecommended-nvenc-settings

Go to chapter:

9. Recommended NVENC settings

Regards

• thanks for good Subtle answer, VBR is better CRF bitrate? for FULL HD 1080p 30 faram is 10m bitrate give good quality for mp4 H264 video?

i make mp4 video for Offline that use on PC and player and TV

how to set Very large VBV buffer size (4 seconds) ? 4seconds=? number of buffer?

also Finite GOP length (2 seconds) 2 seconds=? how number of GOP length?

Edited once, last by javad490 ().

• javad490

Changed the title of the thread from “best setting for export " HEVC nvidia NVENC " h264 mp4 format for good Quality and small video size?” to “best setting for export " HEVC nvidia NVENC " h264 mp4 format for good Quality / Medium video size?”.
  • how to set Very large VBV buffer size (4 seconds) ? 4seconds=? number of buffer?

also Finite GOP length (2 seconds) 2 seconds=? how number of GOP length?

Basically, you take the bitrate/framerate and multiply by seconds.

So, for example, for bitrate of 20Mbit/s, VBV of 4 sec would be 20*4=80Mbit

GOP of 2 seconds = 30fps * 2 = 60

• Basically, you take the bitrate/framerate and multiply by seconds.

So, for example, for bitrate of 20Mbit/s, VBV of 4 sec would be 20*4=80Mbit

GOP of 2 seconds = 30fps * 2 = 60

thanks for answer, for 12Mbit vbr bitrate i must set buffer size=48Mbit ?

when i set GOP=60 at exported video info not seen GOP size, but i set GOP=30 at exported video info see " format settings, GOP M=5 N=30 " !! maybe not accept more then 30 GOP size?

i attached image of export video info that i set GOP=30

• i find and attached NEVENC plugin with installing Manual for premiere cs6 or later, maybe useful or analayse for some person.

Vouk

Experimental NVENC H264 encoder plugin

for Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 (Windows version)

*NVENC-plugin is third-party software that is not supported or distributed by Adobe or NVidia. It comes with no warranty, use at your own risk!

NVENC-plugin is a "proof-of-concept" H264 exporter-plugin for Adobe Premiere CS6 and NVidia "Kepler" GPU family -- "NVENC" is the name of the dedicated hardware encoder found in NVidia's Kepler series GPUs. It offloads the entire H264 encoding pipeline with minimal host-CPU overhead to allow fast compression of the any video-source, with "acceptable" video-quality.

It is not meant to replace the built-in Mainconcept encoder that comes with Adobe Premiere, but instead provide a alternative for quickly generating preview renders inside a trial&error workflow.

NVENC-Plugin features:

• Max resolution: 4096x4096
    • Profile: Base/Main/High, CAVLC or CABAC
    • ! Progressive scan video only (interlaced-video not supported)
    • PrPixelformat: 8-bit YUV 4:2:0
    • Up to 2 reference frames (for motion-estimation)
    • B-frame support (up to 4 consecutive B-frames)
    • Colorspace: Bt601 or Bt709 (can be user-selected, or autoset by source video)
    • uncompressed PCM audio (mono, stereo, or *5.1-surround)

Hardware Requirements:

• NVidia GPU with Compute Capability 3.0 or higher (Kepler series)
    • *CPU with SSSE3 support (Tejas New Instructions)
    • Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 or later (Windows version only), or *Adobe Premiere Elements 11 (Windows version)
    • **Geforce driver 310.94 or newer (Jan 2013)
    • Visual C++ 2010 SP1 x64 runtime redistributables (download it from Microsoft)

1GB or more Video RAM (for 4k video, 2GB is recommended)

Desktop: Geforce GTX650 or better (including GTX660/670/680/690/770/780)

Laptop: Geforce GT640M/650M/660M, 750M and higher

All Intel processors introduced since the 2006 Core series (including Atom)

All AMD processors since the Bulldozer series (2008)

*Note 1: Without SSSE3, NVENC-plugin will still work, but 5.1-audio will be disabled.

Software Requirements:

• Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 or later (Windows version only), or *Adobe Premiere Elements 11 (Windows version)
    • **Geforce driver 310.94 or newer (Jan 2013)
    • Visual C++ 2010 SP1 x64 runtime redistributables (download it from Microsoft)
  • crf16 is better as VBR bitrate?

Yes, crf > vbr > cbr, but nvec is for speed, cpu is for Quality.

The problem with using a fixed bitrate is that each video is going to use it differently since each video has its own complexity, so in some cases that bitrate will be too much, just enough or too little.

• thanks for answer, for 12Mbit vbr bitrate i must set buffer size=48Mbit ?

Yes.

when i set GOP=60 at exported video info not seen GOP size, but i set GOP=30 at exported video info see " format settings, GOP M=5 N=30 " !! maybe not accept more then 30 GOP size?

i attached image of export video info that i set GOP=30

Not necessarily. Sometimes MediaInfo just doesn't display certain file properties. To be sure, you have to manually check the distance between neighbouring I-frames in your encodes.

You can do this with Avidemux, for example. Just press the UP arrow to go forward to the nearest I-frame. You can then count the number of frames between each I-frame (GOP size).

• Yes.

Not necessarily. Sometimes MediaInfo just doesn't display certain file properties. To be sure, you have to manually check the distance between neighbouring I-frames in your encodes.

You can do this with Avidemux, for example. Just press the UP arrow to go forward to the nearest I-frame. You can then count the number of frames between each I-frame (GOP size).

i export Full HD 1080p 30 frame H264 MP4 video with " Corel Video Studio X8 " and on video info is:

Codec id = MP42 (voukoder use MP41)

B ref frames=2 ( premiere use 4 )

GOP: M=3 N=29

for video card Nvidia GTX1050 2g ddr5 ram B ref frame=4 or 2 is give better Quality?

GOP=30 or 60 is better Quality?

on voukoder GOP size setting info say(display) that lower GOP size is give better Quality!!

i attach video info that exported via Corel Video Studio

Edited 2 times, last by javad490 ().

• Hello,

if i understand you want to use the Nvidia NVENC, in this case it's not the question if CRF or VBR ist better because Nvidia NVENC ONLY support CBR, VBR and CQP !! Yes with software encoder it's CRF but this doesn't work with NVENC.

For good quality with NVENC (as i wrote) it's necessary to use the lastest Gen of GPU. That means your graphicard must have an GPU of minimum the 6th Gen. -> Turing TU10x/116 or Ampere.

If your card (GTX1050) do not have that, i would not recommend to use NVENC.

Turing or Ampere make a big step to higher quality und less datarate. Only with this GPU types you don't need software encoder at high bitrates.

For good quality with NVENC (as i wrote) it's necessary to use the lastest Gen of GPU. That means your graphicard must have an GPU of minimum the 6th Gen. -> Turing TU10x/116 or Ampere.

I think we shouldn't be this strict and dissuade OP from using their Pascal gpu or confuse them even more; they seem to be quite confused already. Turing/Ampere encoder is no doubt better, but if their goal isn't beating software encoder in efficiency and given a good enough bitrate / quality level, the output will be visually indistinguishable.

Codec id = MP42 (voukoder use MP41)

I wouldn't be too concerned with that. It's just container / format property. Depending on wrapper/program/tool that wrote the file, it's gonna be different. Unless you really have problems with playing the result file, it shouldn't matter.

GOP=30 or 60 is better Quality?

I'm afraid there's no definite "yes/no" answer to that as it depends on amount of detail and motion in the video. For high motion, lower GOP value is better. If there is little or no motion, longer (bigger) GOP helps to save size (and produce better quality for a given bitrate). Most consumer devices (cameras, etc) use GOP of 1 second. Streaming services use longer GOP, content like movies even longer, etc. Personally I've never seen GOP of lower than one second or 30 frames. Nvidia Share (Shadowplay) uses 30 regardless of chosen framerate.

It seems you yourself mentioned fast camera movement in earlier post, so I'd use 30 (which makes it one second at 30fps).

In the end, encoder profile, bitrate (or CQP level) will have the most impact on quality.

If you want maintain quality, try using CQP mode with Quantizer value of 15 or 16. You'll get visually indistinguishable result (imo), but depending on amount of movement and detail your bitrate might be crazy high (and so the file size). Realistically, usually 18-20 is more reasonable value. Higher quantizer value = lower quality.

And it depends on your requirements and what you're exporting for, how big a file you're willing to accept.

All just my own opinion of course since it's all subjective and everyone will have their own thoughts on settings and parameters.

• Yeah, you're quite right.

• on the nvidia site, say vga GTX1050 have NVENC 6the Gen Pascal family, and support encoding and decoding :

https://developer.nvidia.com/v…de-gpu-support-matrix-new

Edited 2 times, last by javad490 ().

• You still can have good quality with your GPU, but with turing or ampere you will get a smaller file size (because of i.e. b-frame support)

big thanks for this good NVENC plugin:thumbup:this voukoder plugin export 3x faster from premiere h264:)

Edited once, last by javad490 ().

• Premiere(12) internal hevc codecs&encodec 2018 DLL

(manual install) location copy (folder 1.0) to: C:\Users\Public\Documents\AdobeInstalledCodecs

Vouk for Analysis

for fix this (screenshot)error and when user cannot download and install this DLL