H.265 HDR

• First of all, thank you a lot for this great plugin.

Now, to my question. I'm trying to create some H.265 files to use in calibrating my projector. Ideally, I'm trying to produce SDR and HDR versions of the file in 4:2:2 and 4:2:0 chroma subsampling.

The only color spaces available are BT.601 and 709. I'm no expert on this, but, I presume it should be possible to do 709 HDR, but in most discussions I've seen on detecting HDR people are checking BT.2020, that it's at least 10 bit, and the transfer function of something like PQ or HLG, and to select HDR in the normal HEVC exporter, you first have to select BT.2020.

So, is HDR a feature you've not implemented yet?

• As far as i know (and i am a programmer, not an encoding expert):

- bt.601 is used for SD

- bt.709 is used for HD

- bt.2020 is used for UHD

This color space / ranges topic is very complicated to me because i can't just tell premiere "Give me all pixel data in yuv422, 10bit and bt.2020". I am still not sure the current implementation for bt.601 and bt.709 works correct.

Maybe someone else has some theoretical insight in this.

Stay up-to-date and follow me on Twitter. Tell me your feedback.

Help to improve this plugin and support me on patreon. Thank you.

• bt.2020 is a wide colour gamut.

HDR metadata requires a transfer function like PQ or HDR10 which both use SMPTE ST 2084, or HLG (more complex, as it's per-scene), a bit depth of at least 10 bit and a colour space of bt.2020.

Maybe a short cut would be if you allowed us add our own encoder parameters?

• I have uncompressed pixel data as 16bit YUVA 4444 available. Can you tell me a ffmpeg command line to encode it the way you want it? This would help me to implement it.

Stay up-to-date and follow me on Twitter. Tell me your feedback.

Help to improve this plugin and support me on patreon. Thank you.

• I too am looking for HDR support for encoding videos in bt.2020 (HDR) format.

CPU encoding takes way too long since HDR videos usually require higher bitrate (>100mpbs for 4k video).

Please enable HDR support so that we can use this wonderful plugin to encode HDR videos in Premiere Pro CC (2017).

I will search for ffmpeg commands to see if I can get an example for encoding HDR video in the meantime.

• Vouk

Hat das Label Fertig hinzugefügt
  • Vouk

Hat das Label 2.0 hinzugefügt
  • HDR displays are still a niche, so HDR content is not the big slice of the cake now. But some time in the near future HDR displays will become popular (also with lower prices) and it will increase the need of HDR content.

Creating content in HDR fills that gap, and maybe it's not mainstream at this moment, but I'm sure it will be. So being one of the first that make this possible can place your plugin in a real advantage, usefull even for the own Adobe company.

I'm sure that a lot of content creators as myself will be proud to test that feature :)

Keep on doing a great job!

• I just came across this plugin looking for ways to export HDR video from premiere. I'd like to add that HDR is more than just color space. In x265 I would need to include these commands to specify metadata values, which also triggers the correct HDR output settings as well:

--max-cll "4000,250" --master-display "G(13250,34500)B(7500,3000)R(34000,16000)WP(15635,16450)L(40000000,0)"

That represents content that has a MaxCLL of 4000 nits, and a MaxFALL of 250, with a mastering display defined at 4000 nits.

I was trying to use x265vfw to output this but I get error compiling movie with that one, which is why I went googling and found this plugin. It would be nice to be able to simply include command line options like that for any features the encoder doesn't currently support, the way the x264vfw and x265vfw encoders do (I bypass the avi output and output directly to mp4 with those)

Note that premiere does have native HDR editing which allows values greater than 100 nits in the editor, but it's also possible to work on an unprocessed 10bit HDR capture (I have an external HDR monitor which can handle that data so this is useful to me), so it would be nice to be able to export either way. The above x265 command would assume the raw 10bit source (which looks like a washed out image with wrong gamma when displayed on a non-HDR monitor). I couldn't say how natively edited HDR content gets sent to the exporter, so I don't know if there would be something different about how you'd set that up either.