Need advice on GPU purchase and export times using Adobe Media encoder 2019

• Hi all

I'm new to this forum. I'm glad to be here and hopefully will be able to help others interested in accelerating video exports as I am.

I just found this project which seems very promising, but need to gather some info / other users experience before spending money in a GPU.

I currently generate about 6 hours of UHD (XAVCS 25p 60M) video every week, which I then edit and export to HEVC using Adobe Premiere Pro 2019 via Adobe Media Encoder 2019 using an Intel i7-8700CPU.

I've tested Voukoder plugin and obtained the following results for a 1:05h UHD clip.

• Voukoder HEVC (Intel QSV preset) export time with Mercury OpenCL acceleration 2h:04m
      Voukoder HEVC (Intel QSV preset) export time with Mercury Software acceleration 1h:45m
    • Voukoder HEVC (x265 preset) export time with Mercury OpenCL acceleration: 3h
      Voukoder HEVC (x265 preset) export time with Mercury Software acceleration: 2h:25m
    • Original Adobe Premiere Pro HEVC x265 (4K UHD preset) export time with Mercury OpenCL acceleration: 2h:25m
      Original Adobe Premiere Pro HEVC x265 (4K UHD preset) export time with Mercury Software acceleration: 1h:20m

Clip consists in the original video footage with a simple legacy title (text) on top of it. Some (a few) of them have warp stabilizer effect added, which I don't know if is handled by the CPU or the GPU at export time..

I am currently considering purchasing one of (GTX1660 / RTX2060) in order to speed up export times if the time saved is really worth it. What would be the export times so I can consider if it is worth the expense?

What would be the approximate difference in export times between the 1660 and the 2060? 2060 is nearly 70% extra cost, but I don't know if there would be a significant export time difference.

The benefit I am pursuing is purely regain control of my computer, Sometimes i've had some issues because I needed to do something and the CPU was all being eaten by a 7 hour export X/. Overnight exports have become my latest choice ||, but I would really appreciate to make exports faster.

Thank you very much

• What would be the approximate difference in export times between the 1660 and the 2060? 2060 is nearly 70% extra cost, but I don't know if there would be a significant export time difference.

Hello,

There is theoretically no difference because all RTX, GTX1660 and Ti cards use the same dedicated processor for hardware encoding.

• I don't now really now if a dedicated card speeds up the encoding process when not using nvenc. The Intel HD graphics is used by Premiere as acceleration too. Only if you have a lot of effects applied which can be rendered by a GPU and the iGPU has not enough power for frame delivery it maybe helps using a dedicated gpu.

If you want to plan to export using Nvenc codec you will do nothing wrong with the 1660 I think.

• Yes, the speed gains i would expect would be using voukoder coupled with nvenc. I just want to be sure that the investment can result in significant time savings. I'm not a gamer so a gpu would only be used for video exports.

Thanks for your valuable comments :)

• So, after looking here and there I believe I would not benefit so much from the RTX2060 card and I am considering MSI GTX 1660 Gaming X. It has full Turing HEVC encoding capabilities, has lower price and runs quiet (a must for me).

Is there any benefit from moving from the 1660 standard (GDDR5) to 1660 Ti (GDDR6) in terms of 4K video encoding?

• Ok, i've got the GTX1660, installed the Nvidia drivers and, while I'm still doing the 1 hour video test encode, it looks like it's going to take about the same time as without the GTX

[Blocked Image: https://i.imgur.com/tPhnjIU.png]

The only effect applied in this project is the title text that I surrounded by a red line (it's just a test)

[Blocked Image: https://i.imgur.com/eKnxD4C.png]

I'll attach a log after export finishes. I'm sure there must be something i'm doing wrong.

• Ok, i've got the GTX1660, installed the Nvidia drivers and, while I'm still doing the 1 hour video test encode, it looks like it's going to take about the same time as without the GTX

Do you have set the Renderer Setting to Mecury Playback Engine CUDA? (you can find it in the Project Settings) If you haven't any effects applied on your video like color corrections the GPU will not accelerate frame delivery. As I can see in the screenshot, the GPU Copy usage is at 0% so it is not used by Premiere as acceleration.