Recommended settings for youtube

• Hi all,

I'm trying to get to the bottom of a large audio delay problem with my uploaded youtube videos. The rendered mp4 videos do not have this delay, but there is a significant (1 second or so) delay when playing back via the youtube player.

I thought I would start by following the exact h264 settings recommended by Google for youtube videos. I found them here:

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en

• Progressive scan (no interlacing)
    • High Profile
    • 2 consecutive B frames
    • Closed GOP. GOP of half the frame rate.
    • CABAC
    • Variable bitrate. No bitrate limit required, though we offer recommended bit rates below for reference
    • Chroma subsampling: 4:2:0

There does not appear to be a way to affect several of these in the Voukoder interface. What are the recommended settings within Voukoder for optimal performance on youtube?

My videos are 1440x1080 30fps, and are 8 hours long.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Great plugin!

Ben

• Recommendation is for H.264, so encoder must be x264. It can be done using Voukoder, except, maybe, fixed GOP. However it is only recommendation. You are free to choose any options/gop structure as you want, Youtube will re-encode uploaded video anyway. Such recommendation is good only for Youtube itself - it spend less resources for re-encode. Following this recommendation will not improve quality of the video on Youtube. It can only decrease a time needed for re-encode by Youtube.

• Thought I'd follow up on this. It turns out that Youtube's own down conversion breaks the audio sync, but only at 480p resolution. Not at issue at all caused by Voukoder. Thanks for being responsive on this question, and keep up the great work! I'm rendering 8 hour long 1440x1080 h264 20Mbit bitrate videos at about 1.5 hours each on my RTX 2080 Ti thanks to this plugin. Awesome.

• x264 crf=0 is indeed uncompressed. The more you increase the crf the more visual loss you have.

So it's on you to decide what quality you get.

Stay up-to-date and follow me on Twitter. Tell me your feedback.

Help to improve this plugin and support me on patreon. Thank you.

• Just to be clear, are these the right settings for YouTube 1080p 60 fps?

Code
    1. b=12000000 preset=slow profile=high rc=abr x264-params=keyint=30:bframes=2

Also, checking multipass (2 passes) does not change the config string.

• The more you increase the crf the more visual loss you have.

Personally, I found out that CRF 17-18 is visually lossless for x264 at FHD.

Just to be clear, are these the right settings for YouTube 1080p 60 fps?

To follow their recommendations you need to use fixed GOP. It can be done by disabling scenecut: scenecut = 0. Also, keyint should be the half of video FPS.